:)

:)

Friday, June 25, 2010

Norfolk

The next morning, after a wonderful short evening in the cricket bungalow, I lolly gagged my way to the clump of cities that take up the entire southeastern portion of Virginia. I planned on booking a room as soon as possible thinking I'd hit the beach that day, but in stead wound up driving in circles looking for my motel that was close to one of those overpasses that you have to corkscrew under at an intense angle while making an illegal u-turn just to be on the right side of the road to enter the parking lot of Motel 6. I'll never be one to profess my love of a Motel 6, but this one made me miss my cricket room and had I been smart enough to leave the parking lot I might have changed my mind and moved on. But it was cheap and I had things I wanted to do so.....

I had no plan, which works out better for me most of the time. Planning ruins everything for the most part, so I'm trying to avoid anything but the most rudimentary of itineraries. Some CouchSurfing acquaintances advised me to check out Ghent. Ghent is where you hang out if you're a really cool college kid who likes to drink coffee, so of course I wanted to hang out there. Not really, but I like coffee so I went to have a look. I had a delicious espresso beverage and checked out the local free magazine that tells you what's going on in the area. This is where I read about the art festival on the Virginia Beach boardwalk, which I just had to see.

I wanted to see the beach anyway so this worked out perfectly. I drove around in circles again for maybe an hour (I'm pretty sure the GPS gods are using me for sport) and paid too much for parking, but I did finally make it to the boardwalk. What I could see of the beach was pretty, I guess. It was swarming with people that seemed all too happy to be rubbing sandy elbows together with millions of strangers. Umbrellas and blankets were stacked and staggered from the sands edge to the surf. There really was nowhere for anybody to be but in the water, which is where everyone was. Hundreds and hundred of people all trying to enjoy the same thing in the same claustrophobic space. I didn't really feel like swimming anymore.

Luckily I hap options. I walked for what seemed like miles up and down the unrelenting heat with hundreds of other art appreciators oohing and ahhing at amazing works of art I could never afford. I talked to artists and took postcards and information so I could investigate my favorites later in room 223. I saw lots of inspiring works that day. And I picked up some souvenirs on the very long walk back to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment