:)

:)

Monday, June 21, 2010

Kill Devil Hills

Before camping I wanted to try to see Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, the tallest lighthouse in America. I drove north, leaving behind room 228 and all its' glory. I'd seen all Wilmington had to offer in my opinion and I'd never even had the chance to get in the water!

I had to right that wrong before I could even put my lighthouse venture into play. So...checkout time came at the Motel6 and the WonderPug and I set out north on Highway 17. I drove until I saw a sign that seemed to tell me all I needed to know.......Surf City 13 miles :) A smallish back country beach community awaited us at the end of a winding stretch of lush green road lined with smart little trailer homes tucked under the shade of intensely blooming mimosa. All the pinkness and the drunken sweet scent are a part of my Surf City experience along with the salted wind and a recently healed sunburn. I enjoy a good detour.

This is where Poe got sand in my camera and may have caused a small technological setback on my adventure, but it was fun to watch. My dog is such a baby. Every time I made it to about bellybutton deep in the water, he had long turned back to save himself from the assaulting waves and probably the humiliation of some other dog seeing what a ridiculous looking swimmer he is. He would sit at the edge of the tide and watch very patiently as long as I faced him. The moment I turned away or sank into the surf to wet my hair and he could not see me as well, he took off toward the first human he could find and sat right next to them. I could not rightly enjoy the water for fear he'd be quickly adopted by strangers. Several times I had to remove him apologetically from the middle a father and his two daughters a few feet down the beach. They might be future puggle owners thanks to my posterchild for cuteness and vulnerability.

No comments:

Post a Comment