:)

:)

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 4....is that right?

I'm getting behind somehow. Maybe I just didn't feel the urge to tell the world that day 4 and 4 1/2 were kind of dudtastic. I have to be honest, by the fourth day of full tilt adventuring, the new had worn off. I had to get my head back on straight before I could check in again. I know everyone is anticipating my every move so I apologize, it's so hard being a rock star these days ;)

No really, day 4 was a true runner in my hose as they say and I wasn't at all inclined to share my uneventful day...til now i guess. Day 4 started with sneaking Poe out of the skeezy motel we camped in for the night. In all my sneaking I had left my laptop charger in the car and normally would have gone out to get it, but every time I attempted to leave Poe had a full-scale meltdown and scratched up the door and cried like his head was being smooshed to bits so I was totally disconnected from the world by 9pm that night. I had plans to have breakfast in a place that hopefully allow recharging and net surfing the next morning. I needed to formulate a plan of attack for my next few days. Columbia, S.C. is not user friendly, as the whole town was lacking in outlets and wifi! I pointed my Yaris toward Savannah, hopeful that they were civilized enough to suit my internet needs.

Savannah was hot and I dragged poor Poe all over looking at everything cool to see in the hip and trendy downtown, keeping my eyes peeled for an available outlet and an inviting "wifi" sign. No such luck. I gave up on it and had a cherry cream soda at Leopold's and had a long hot think. They were nice enought to give Poe a tiny scoop of ice cream with a little Milkbone on top too! How cute! We sweated into our treats and right then and there I decided to get to the closest available water source I could find. Hilton Head Beach was only a half hour away! Cool waters, here we come!

Hilton Head Island is what you could expect if every franchise, chain and superstore multiplied like a virus in culture medium and overtook every available bit of land. It was teaming with TJMaxx's and Panera's and expensive vacation rental complexes. I whizzed right by all the shopping opportunities in search of ocean breezes. Frowny and irritated after way too much time wrestling with the GPS, finding a parking spot and searching for green money for the meter we were finally hitting sand! Ten feet off the sidewalk I was promptly informed that no dogs were allowed on the beach til after 6pm! It being only 2ish, I caved and tracked down the cheapest room I could find to wait it out. Then it stormed bad enough I actually looked up the weather to make sure I wasn't the only imbicile in town that didn't know if there was a hurricane coming and I took a deep breath and ordered in some Italian and accidently bought an expensive crappy movie on the tv. Tomorrow will be better.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, of course it will (i already know it is/was, as i'm posting this after the fact). Ice cream with a milk bone? I doubt the day was as dudtastic for Poe as it was for you. :)

    ReplyDelete